Aromatherapy is one of the alternative methods of traditional medicine. People used essential oils, derived from plant extracts, for therapeutic and health purposes, as well as to maintain beauty and health since ancient times.
Table of contents:
- Why is aromatherapy useful?
- The benefits of essential oils for women.
- Aromatherapy for pregnant women.
Aromatherapy is the use of volatile vegetable oils, including essential oils, to improve mental and physical condition. They are a mixture of various substances:
Essential oils are different from ordinary oils. They are light and non-fat because fatty acids lack in them. At the same time, their active substances evaporate quickly. The unique chemical composition allows these oils to have a strong effect on the human organism. Therefore, they are widely used in medical and cosmetic purposes. The secret of the effectiveness of treatment with aromatic essential oils is their skillful choice, taking into account the peculiarities of the action.
Why is aromatherapy useful?
They must not contain foreign components. Specialists get them from medicinal plants according to all the rules. Herbalists use special methods to preserve all the useful ingredients. At the same time, the esters have pleasant smells, which have a different impact on the physical and psycho-emotional state. Useful substances enter the body with inhaled and then distributed to all organs and systems.
Aromatherapy procedures are used to solve a variety of health problems. What effect oil will have on a person depends on the plant from which it was obtained. Experts know several main groups of essential substances:
- Flower oils – is the ether of lavender, geranium, jasmine, juniper, roses, neroli, etc. These remedies most effective in combating depressive conditions, migraines. They are good for relieving tension and the negative impact of stressful situations.
- Antiseptic oils- mint, tea tree, eucalyptus. They clean and disinfect, destroy viruses, bacteria.
- Wood aromas – frankincense, ylang ylang, cedar, sandalwood. Oils eliminate the symptoms of tachycardia, soothe, lower high blood pressure and have an anti-stress effect.
- Plant oils – thyme, anise, basil, sage, mint. Oils improve the cardiovascular system, invigorate, increase tone.
- Spicy esters – ginger, cloves, nutmeg. Such remedies are good for eliminating signs of colds, improving mood. Oils have an anti-stress effect.
- Citrus fruits – lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit. Oils strengthen the immune system, raise the mood, calm the nervous system, tone up and disinfect.
Doctors use essential oils usually in combination with each other. They combine esters with basic herb oils or with various natural substances, for example, with honey or kefir, etc. How do herbalists get natural oils? Essential oils, used in aromatherapy, can be obtained in several ways:
- Distillation with water or steam. The most widely used on an industrial scale, including to obtain extracts used for medical purposes.
- Cold pressing. As a rule, it’s used to obtain citrus essential oils, whose properties and application in aromatherapy are in high demand.
- Maceration. Herbalists usually use this method to obtain extracts from flowers. The basis of this method is the absorption of an oily substance by a solid sorbent – animal or vegetable fat, activated carbon, etc.
- Extraction with selective solvents. This method is based on the fact that many aroma oils are easily dissolved in volatile organic solvents and gases. The solvent is absorbed after extraction. Herbalists collect residues in a container.
Essential oils in aromatherapy are used as agents that have the following effects on the human body:
- Antimicrobial (antiseptic, or bacteriostatic);
- Stimulant remedy. Some oils stimulate the secretion of gastric juice, digestive enzymes, breast milk, and other glands;
- Toning or relaxing, anti-stress;
All the effects of essential oils on humans can be divided into three groups: pharmacological, physiological and psychological. They quickly become involved in the metabolism and thereby affect the state and work of the internal organs. The psychological reaction, as a rule, is determined by the emotional response to the aroma of the oil. Experienced herbalists combine different components, making up those or other oils. However, they all follow the next rules:
- Don’t mix opposing essential oils. Aromatic oil, which has a stimulating effect, can’t be combined with a relaxing, tone-reducing oil.
- Herbalists recommended mixing aromatherapy oils in a limited amount – no more than five varieties in one mixture. The too complex composition makes the effect unpredictable.
- The specialist must correctly select the composition, taking into account the action of the components. For example, in case of inflammation of a joint, it’s advisable to assemble means with anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, and tissue repair effects.
Aromatherapy uses the properties of oils in different ways because each component has a whole spectrum of action. Therefore, only an experienced master to make a competent, effective composition of different components.
It’s worth noting that essential oils are safe to use. However, a person should treat them with some caution. Don’t forget that these are highly concentrated substances. They can cause allergies, redness, and irritation when applied directly to the skin. Therefore, they never apply in pure form. Herbalists dilute them in a base oil carrier. There are several ways to use essential oils in aromatherapy:
- Indoor spraying is the easiest and fastest way to aromatize an apartment or a separate room. The method is based on the ability of the oil to distribute the smell in the heating process. Herbalist pours cold water into the bowl and adds a few drops of the selected oil (or mixture of oils). He puts a small candle in the lower part and sets fire to it. In addition to decorative lamps, electrical and ultrasonic aroma diffusers became popular. The maximum session time is 2 hours.
- Personal pendant is a small decoration in the form of a vessel. Inside add a few drops of your favorite oil or hide cotton wool soaked in the composition. At any time, you can quietly resort to aromatherapy to relieve anxiety, relax, rejuvenate and improve your well-being.
- Inhalation. Inhalation of vapors of essential oils is indicated for colds and some respiratory diseases. Prophylactic inhalations have a positive effect on the nervous system, increasing stress resistance and reducing irritability.
- Fragrant bath. A pleasant and useful procedure for the body helps to relieve physical and emotional stress, most often carried out at night. Essential oils are mixed with a base oil, after which the composition is added to water. Its temperature should not exceed 38 degrees. The maximum procedure time is 25 minutes.
- Massage with aromatic oils. It’s divided into several types: medicinal, anti-cellulite, erotic, cosmetic. The procedure has a beneficial effect on the skin of the face and body. Massage helps to get rid of a number of diseases and improves well-being.
The benefits of essential oils for women.
Aromatherapy for women is not only a pleasure. They are ideal for everyday treatment. Doctors use them for cosmetic purposes. In addition, essential oils help to cope with typically female problems – gynecological diseases, nervous disorders, premenstrual syndrome, etc.
One of the unique properties of aromatherapy is the ability to cheer up. There is nothing better than essential oils for treatment sense of fear or psychological blockage. There is nothing surprising. Essential oils, as a rule, penetrate into the body through the respiratory organs or by rubbing in the area of the solar plexus, spine or foot. Active molecules immediately rise to the brain and interact in it with some neurotransmitters that are exchanged between neurons. If a woman is harassed by anxiety, stress, then, in this case, she should try essential oils, for example, Roman chamomile. She will again feel peace of mind.
Some essential oils help restore hormonal balance. Others have a pronounced antifungal effect. The third group of oils destroys microorganisms that cause infections. In addition, due to the properties of essential oils used in aromatherapy, the vaginal microflora is normalized. Its mucous membranes are strengthened and protected. On the one hand, it contributes to the overall strengthening of the body, and on the other hand, it prevents the recurrence of diseases. This is of fundamental importance for women’s health. Especially given the fact that vaginal candidiasis occurs almost every month at some women.
Aromatherapy for pregnant women.
The period of childbearing proceeds more easily in pregnant women, when they use essential oils. However, they must remember that all aromatherapy prescriptions are contraindicated during the first three months of pregnancy. Useful substances can get into the placenta and cause fetal death. The risk is exceptionally low. According to many experts, it’s rather a matter of precaution. Nevertheless, in the absolute majority of cases, a woman should consult with a specialist.
Some essential oils can be used without any risk for either the mother or the baby throughout the pregnancy. These oils don’t contain a single toxic molecule. They are great help to cope with small problems. Aromatherapy improves the quality of everyday life. While doctors don’t recommend the use of most conventional medicines throughout pregnancy. All essential oils with molecules that represent a potential danger are prohibited not only until the end of pregnancy but also during breastfeeding.
Thus, contrary to popular belief, not all essential oils are dangerous for pregnant women. In addition, they are extremely effective! It’s important for women not to increase the dosage and don’t replace one essential oil with another. Even if the woman thinks that, it’s almost the same.
The first thing you should always remember when using essential oils – they can’t be underestimated. They have a powerful effect on the human organism, even in small quantities. Therefore, people should use them very carefully, strictly observing the dosage and prescription of specialists.
A person must ensure that he hasn’t individual intolerance, before applying any oil. The easiest way is to drop a little substance on the inner surface of the elbow. If, after a few minutes, the skin becomes red or edema, this component should be excluded from the list.
Aromatherapy is an effective way to solve many problems with health and appearance. However, like any other alternative medicine method, it requires a responsible attitude and an understanding of the essence of the treatment process. Therefore, a woman should begin to learn this method from studying one or two aromatic oils, their properties and methods of application. She will be able to expand the number of funds over time.